Saturday, February 6, 2016

Luna the Llama

Over the summer months I was fostering some homeless llamas from a local rescue. I found one of the females in mid-delivery about 8 weeks ago. This unexpected Preemie Cria, as you can see from the first picture, appeared too frail to survive. To complicate matters, sadly “mamma llama” was unable and unwilling to care for her baby.

To save her life I took her on as my own - and although I’d never recommend a llama living in the house… it was a necessary decision. I’m happy say that she is not only alive, but is flourishing.

She was house broken at 10 days old. My Great Dane Degas has also stepped up to be a surrogate mother and guardian. This little miracle we affectionately call Luna continues to bring endless joy to everyone here at the farm.

No comments: